Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The bees and I are rolling in the clover

Today I want to drive with the windows down and hang my arm out. Scoop and dive my outstretched hand thru that delicious warm air and just DRIVE. Blast that stereo. Beach trip, anyone?

It's apparent I've got a severe case of Spring Fever. I doubt I'm alone, since as far as I have been told, the rest of the free world has been smothered under a blanket of rampant flu for the past two months. We haven't had it that bad, but we're coming to the end of a second week of sniffles, coughs and subsequent troll-like attitudes in our household. And what was with that freak snowfall last weekend? It's March, for crying out loud. This misery has got to end soon.

I get this way every year. Steve will back me up on this. You'd not think it to look at me, a fair-skinned, freckly cave bat who spent the majority of her childhood slathered with Vapo-rub and dragging on an albuterol inhaler...but I love this time of year. Bugs, pollen and all.

I had a monumental "me" day yesterday (the last one was sometime in 2001), and left my snoozing little ones in the care of their sneezing father (or were they sneezing and he snoozing? It doesn't matter.) in search of ONE new garment to wear to a wedding on Saturday. I'm in love with this season's fashions, since they're all Empire-waisted and loose-fitting, and I am hanging onto about thirty pounds of pregnancy blubber (ok, I won't blame the kids entirely here), and the last thing I want to see when I gaze in the mirror is that Uniroyal tire around my middle, desperately trying to muscle its way right past the fabric straining to contain it. I found an adorable dress. It's even nursing-capable. I'm not mentioning what size I had to purchase, however. I resisted the urge to buy myself an entire wardrobe. Perhaps staring at creeping double digits on the garment label will be the impetus for a health overhaul in my life. Still happy I got to shop! Later that evening, I made a second escape and had a delightful dinner with girlfriends, sipping chai tea and telling stories on my two-year-old. Despite my having suffered a marathon of nights filled with broken sleep and weepy babes, I felt more energized than I have in such a long time. If we had a porch swing, I'd be on it right now.

1 comment:

cyndi said...

wow! congrats! i think i was in single digits age wise the last time i saw them on the inside of a garment. glad you got a groovy new dress though! and i hear you about the spring fever! if you are down call us and maybe we can see you!