Wednesday, June 3, 2009

H2Obstinate

Most folks would describe me as fairly hardheaded. I have had this adjective attached to my name since my tender years, and I never realized what grief it caused the majority of my family until my son came along. The male version of ME. Poor, poor Connor.

Somewhere along the time he turned two, Connor began developing anxiety around water. He's just fine in the bathtub (unless you attempt to shampoo his hair), but get him within twenty feet of a larger body of water, and his little hiney cheeks clench. Drag him into the water and he becomes an octopus, wrapping himself multiple times around the nearest adult and howling until they take him out. It's ridiculous, really. Previous attempts to acclimate him to the pool have ended in mutual frustration, lots of tears, and no fun. Picture me at age four, and you've got an idea of the source from whence this behavior was inherited. I can't explain it. I was just plumb terrified of drowning, and I didn't trust a soul to keep me afloat. Consequently, Connor will not be convinced that we have his safety in mind. I don't think I've projected any latent fears onto him, though. I did eventually learn to swim, and I try my best to show Connor that it's fun. He won't be moved.

Well, two can play the stubborn game. I arose this morning, and whether it was by sheer determination or gluttony for misery, made the decision to carry both my children to the YMCA pool by myself. We stopped at Kmart to purchase a float suit for the wee one and a Spider Man kickboard for the big boy. I really hoped that would serve as incentive.

We arrived at the pool, everyone hopped into their suits, and I yanked Mia's float suit out of the box and cringed. It required a manual pump to inflate. What the??? Well, after a thorough inquiry at the front desk (surely they've got one, right? Don't they have to blow up basketballs and junk? This is the Y, for cripes sake), there was no pump to be found. I gritted my teeth and dug a fingernail into the valve to release the pin, wrapped my mouth around it tightly, and blew until I turned purple. Success. Enough to keep her afloat, anyway.

We marched back thru the dressing rooms, I flung open the door to the pool room, and Connor froze. The next 45 minutes was all about me coaxing and dragging a flailing four-year-old into the water while I balanced an ecstatic toddler on my hip. Oh yeah. Mia loves the water. A picture of contrast, she's a regular little goldfish. Splash, splash, jump to Mama, dunk under and swim to the surface...this child will be dog-paddling by summer's end, mark my words. Now back to Captain Hydrophobe. The fact that he was wearing water wings and clinging to a kickboard made no difference to him. He was convinced he was drowning. I tried everything to get him to relax. No go. Finally, he announced he had to pee. I told him I'd take him, but by golly, we were not leaving until he started enjoying himself. He gave me one of his famous "growly faces." We trooped out of the pool, took care of business, and made our way back. As an afterthought, I suggested Connor snag a couple "funnoodles" from the bin for himself and his sister. He did. Tucked one under his armpits and cautiously waded into the pool. This time it only took him about thirty seconds--he sailed out past the steps and paddled around in a circle, astonished that he was upright. "Mommy! Am I swimming?" He asked, his eyes wide.

"Yup, Baby! Is it fun?"

"Yes! Look! Watch me! I can do it!!"

It was the first time he's let go voluntarily. Ever. We spent another hour in that pool, until our toes were white and pruny and our stomachs were growling. Connor kept motorboating around in the shallow end, triumphant and radiant. He didn't want to stop. I hated to end it. Then Mia caught sight of a large man with b-cup breasts and about six teeth (the heated pool attracts the elderly like flies to a bug-zapper), and started pointing and asking questions. Clearly, our time was up. What fun, though!

And on the way home, Connor asked when we would go back. Sweet progress. We are going to take it slow, but I am hopeful. I am not giving up on this child. We're cut from the same cloth.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

That is awesome Amanda!!! Way to go Connor!!!! I had the same problem with my oldest one. Now he is a fish..of course he is 14 now!!!

cyndi said...

too funny...maybe he'll be ready for swim lessons at the Y soon! good luck!

Unknown said...

congrats for little man!

We also go to the Y, which one did you go to? We visit the North River and my 6 year old loves to swim. Maybe we could meet up there one day. :)

MamaDrama77 said...

Toni--North River's the one we go to as well! I'm usually up there two to three mornings a week to work out or take the kids to the pool. We should definitely plan a pool date!

Unknown said...

I cant believe I've never seen you but it's probably cause I just wasnt looking. :)

I worked out there every morning around 8:30 the whole month of May, while in school, and now I'm gonna be taking the kids with me.

This will be the first time Maddie stays in a nursery and then I thought I'd taken them swimming.

I'd love to work out with ya sometime as well. Just let me know what works best for ya!

Mindy said...

Gosh......your lucky, my 6yr old still refuses to get in a pool. The steps are as far as she will go! I had signed her and Syd up for swim lessons this summer, but since i had to have this dadblasted root canal and crown, we can't afford the $75 each it would cost. I was hopeful, but I guess I will have to wait until next year. The lady that does it does the 3rd child free, but said child would have to be 3! I hope it won't be too late for Mackenzie...she'll be 7.5 by next summer!

MamaDrama77 said...

You know Mindy, I don't think it's EVER too late for kids to learn water safety and swimming. Just keep encouraging her. Connor's got a looooong way to go too.