Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cracking good toast!

Connor's birthday present is complete. I put the finishing touches on this little fella tonight:





Ten points go to you if you can name this little guy correctly.




Time's up. This is Gromit. Isn't he cute-ums? If you haven't heard of Wallace and Gromit... they're a series of animated films starring a goofy bald dude named Wallace (he's British and he loves cheese) and his mute dog who is clearly the brains of the outfit. The entire catalogue of films includes three shorts and a feature-length (one more feature-length has just been released in Britain, entitled Wallace and Gromit: A Matter of Loaf and Death...it's set in a bakery. Expect highbrow humor, obviously). My love affair with these little guys began in high school. I've passed it on to my kids. Ask Connor and he'll tell you, they're his favorite movies. We own every DVD and he's about worn them ragged.




He's nuts for the little dog, Gromit. Problem is, it's darn near impossible (and fairly expensive) to locate any memorabilia promoting the characters. The only stuffed "Gromit" I was able to dig up was a tiny stiff miniature one. Not ideal for snuggling, which I know he'll want to do at night. And it was unavailable at the time. So I decided I'd make one. Believe me, this has been an exercise in experimentation...but hooray--Mommy's Gromit is plushy, snuggly, entirely hand-stitched (with luuuuv!), and measures an ample 18"! Maybe not something Toys R Us would want to mass-produce, but in our household, he's sure to be loved thoroughly.

My personal favorite touch is his little leather collar, complete with engraved license:



I've totally got dibs if Connor decides he's not interested. Is it his birthday yet?????

6 comments:

laura headley said...

oh amanda...gromit is precious! and there you go again...being all super-momish and stuff! connor will love it!!

cyndi said...

ok WOW i am beyond impressed! how'd you make that and for the love of all things good WHY did you hand-stitch it?

MamaDrama77 said...

I can't get my machine to do right. Anyway, it was such an experimental endeavor, I thought I'd have a little more control if I did it by hand.

MamaDrama77 said...

As to the HOW...lots of trial and error. And a little blood. Mine.

Mindy said...

Are those Mr. Potato head eyes?

MamaDrama77 said...

Ha! Nope. Wooden balls I painted.