Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Daddy's Girl

Steve's in Minneapolis until tomorrow night. His absence generally stands to complicate bedtime routines in this household, so this evening I prepared for the standoff from my two-year-old. He was uncharacteristically cooperative. Strangely, my usually compliant 10-month-old simply would not lay her head down for bed this evening. Instead she pulled herself up, stood at the crib rail, and mournfully called out for "Da-da." Frankly, I didn't expect her to notice he was missing just one night. I found my cell phone, called him, and put her ear to it. She positively lit up. "Da-da," she whispered, and reached for his picture, which pops up whenever we're connected. "Da-da-da-da!" He laughed. She laughed. He laughed. She laughed again. The two of them were having their own little conversation. This lasted several seconds. Satisfied, she popped her thumb into her mouth and clutched Pinky Bear. She looked at me as if to say "All right. Let's go to bed." Night night, Daddy. See you soon.

1 comment:

Abbey Road said...

How sweet is that?! I just love hearing stories like that :)