Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Sign of the Times


I've been showing Mia sign language for certain things since she was about five or six months. Last week, she started doing them herself! She's already demonstrating signs for "more," "finished," and "Mommy." I'm so excited! We never got to see Connor do any signs, although I used them with him as much as I do Mia (He decided at 8 months to just start talking outright and didn't want to bother with forming his hands into funky shapes. Let's just say he could have inherited his motor skills from either of us....sorry, Son.). I am presently working on introducing two or three more words into her signing vocabulary. We'll see what she thinks.

Baby Signing Website

Here's a photo of one of her earliest attempts at signing. It's her adaptation of "more." She taps her thumb on her highchair tray. Please forgive her pitiful expression...Princess Mimi is nursing an ear infection this week, poor monkey. She's not her smiley self at present.

1 comment:

Abbey Road said...

Oh wow!! My best friend does that with her baby, and I always said that would have been great with Ryan since he didn't talk much early on. Way to go Miss Mia! I hope she feels better soon, poor baby!