Saturday, May 3, 2008

Gettin' Crafty

I've completed two projects this week requiring scissors and glue. Both were super fun, but one of them could have been a whole lot simpler if I hadn't gotten so carried away. Below you'll see an example of Connor's "monster" birthday party invitation (after I made the first one, I thought, "This is cute, but my hand is cramping a little..." After sixteen, I thought "I am stupid."):



The rest are before-and-after photos of my little toddler rocking chair, all spiffed up and refurbished for my sweet daughter. I found the fabric at Hobby Lobby, and it just said "Mia." I'll miss the original Holly Hobbie upholstery, but it had to go--years of storage in my grandparents' attic had rendered it musty and grayish. Years ago, my entire bedroom was tricked out in like fashion--I had the bedspread and canopy, the curtains, the dolls...everything. Those little prairie girls in the giant bonnets were apparently huge in the late seventies:





Apparently, this style of rocker was also a popular item in the seventies, since Steve has one from his babyhood that's an identical frame, with a slightly lighter finish on the wood and decidedly more boyish upholstery. It's at his mom's house, and my plan is to re-do it so the kids can have coordinating rockers. I'll post pics when that happens.

3 comments:

Talia said...

Oh, I was going to tag you with a meme because you hadn't posted in awhile and now I come back and you've been all crafty.

The chair is lovely! I refinished one for Will for his first birthday, but it was just a matter of sanding and repainting it, no fabric involved.

anyhow, the meme's here if you are interested: http://taliabriscoe.livejournal.com/164567.html

cyndi said...

oh Amanda that is lovely! i just love love love the rocker and the invite! you are so crafty! I always wonder about moms who aren't...what do they do with old rockers and torn dress up costumes?

Abbey Road said...

I had no idea that you like to make cards, me too. Of course I am sure that now you are a little tired of making them.

The chair came out great! And Baylee has the same outfit that Miss Mia is wearing. We will have to coordinate an outing with them in matching outfits. lol