Monday, January 12, 2009

Performing Arts, or Self-Torture?

Perhaps I'm writing this so I won't chicken out.

It's been *insert embarrassingly lengthy time span here* since my last confession--er--audition. And I'm thinking of doing one. Oh Lord. Why?

Most days I'm perfectly content doing what I do with my evenings, tucking in wee ones and parking my rear on the couch beside the Hubby to watch DiscoveryHD in my slipper socks. Quiet time in our household is cherished. Relished. Anticipated. During the week, my daylight hours are filled with appointments, trips to the gym, to preschool and play dates, housecleaning, sibling mediation, meal preps...and then, blissfully...nothing after ten PM. Steve and I--we just quietly allow ourselves to zone out (I know, most of you thought our night life was spicier...) until our eyelids won't stay parted. Why would I want to disrupt such a beautiful system and commit myself to a possible three months of obligation from 7-11 pm? I'm not sure. Also, I think maybe there's a little demon inside me whose sole pleasure is watching me turn white with terror.

CTC's doing Company in March (Ah, Sondheim!), and auditions are in a week. I just...I think...oh, criminy. I'm picturing something along the lines of that scene in The Little Mermaid, when Scuttle picks up the snarfblatt and blows into it, expecting beautiful music. Instead, a load of sea sludge and kelp bubbles out. Me? I'm the snarfblatt. It's been a while.





LEFT PHOTO: In my youth and channeling Carol Burnett.











RIGHT PHOTO: Taken this morning, before I'd had my coffee and OsteoBiFlex.











I'll borrow a line from my son when he first saw me acting, in a skit for Vacation Bible School:
"Mommy, don't get up on that stage again."

6 comments:

meredith said...

Just do it! It has also been an obscenely long time since I did a show and I am getting the itch again too...If you audition, I'll audition. The community theatre here is doing Honky Tonk Angels.

Anonymous said...

do it amanda! just do it!

cyndi said...

awe! don't listen to him..he's a kid! you rock and even if you are a bit rusty..you need to audition just for the sake of it! if its meant to be ..it will be! and who knows..it may spice up your night life!

Abbey Road said...

You should just do it, I can tell you have a lot talent. Who cares that it has been so long since your last audition, you have to entertain those little munchkins everyday and sometimes they can be your worst critic! Good Luck!

MamaDrama77 said...

Ha ha--I think Connor's "modest request" was more due to the fact that I totally un-nerved him, going up there and acting like a completely different person. I'm sure he was thinking someone had eaten his actual Mommy. After all, he begs me to read him stories "in character."

As of this afternoon, I'm still resolved to take the plunge. Yipes.

Natalie said...

Do it! I want to see you in action!! :)